The voice of experience

From a pediatrician and fellow emeritus professor:

“You want to know about vaccines? Okay. Here you go.

“In 42 years, in about 150,000 patient encounters, I have only seen one child who had a bad reaction: localized severe angioedema of the arm, I.e., severe redness and swelling, where he got a DTaP. Even so, he responded well to oral antihistamines and did not need to be hospitalized.

 

“That’s it: one kid who did well with outpatient treatment. In 42 years. In about 150,000 patient encounters.

 

“Now, how many kids did the jabs I prescribed save from illness, hospitalization, even death? I’ll never know, but I know it’s tens of thousands.

 

“Vaccines are a miracle. Yet they are so much more. They are a pinnacle of human intellect, achievement, and compassion. They are essential to human life on this planet, and I will continue to urge everyone I know - and thousands I don’t - to get themselves and their children every vaccine that’s appropriate for them.

 

“Because someone reading this might not be alive to read this if not for vaccines.”

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tesla robotaxis aren’t coming any time soon

Yes, the CDC can change its mind

The economics of deportation