On the meanings of the word "Christian"

I was raised Roman Catholic, which as much as any religious system can claim to be Christian. But ever since I was in high school, I disagreed with the RC teaching on abortion. To be Christian, it seems to me, is to claim to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ. Jesus was silent on the topic of abortion. Accordingly, I felt the RCC teachings against abortion were outside the remit of the Church and felt free to dissent. While I understand why a Christian might oppose abortion, it is not a Christian belief, it is simply a personal belief. Same with homosexuality and gay marriage. Jesus was silent on those topics as well. To follow Jesus' example would mean being silent on the topics of abortion, homosexuality and gay marriage.

I'm ruminating on this topic in the wake of the Christianity Today brouhaha, in which the outgoing editor called for Trump to be removed from office. While I agree with this editorial, my agreement isn't moored in evangelical Christianity, or Christianity of any flavor. Other so-called Christians have attacked the CT editorial.

Let's just admit that the terms "Christian" and "Christianity" have become marketing terms, branding. These words have been hijacked and weaponized by folks who want to cloak their personal opinions in ecclesiastical costume.

I carry no water for Christianity, nor for Trump and the modern GOP. But any true conservative would object both to Trump and to the commercialization of Christianity. A conservative supports the separation of church and state, both for the sake of church and of state. A conservative supports the separation of church and science as separate magisteria. I'm not a conservative,  but I can respect honest conservatism as a different worldview that is capable of reconciliation and redemption. I have only contempt for right-wing extremist bullying masquerading as Christianity.

Comments

  1. Noam Chomsky says the Republican Party is the most dangerous group since the beginning of humankind. I fully agree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unknown above is me Charles Haller.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured. I'm not so sure about the claim for "most dangerous." The tens of millions who died under the boots of Stalinist USSR, Maoist China, the Spanish Inquisition, Nazi Germany and antebellum America would disagree.

      Delete
    2. Well, I guess there have been tens of thousands who died in the US and USSR in the process of thermonuclear weapons development and testing. So far, none have been detonated in wartime, so those numbers are dwarfed by the lives lost to more conventional means.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Two sides

Is Joe Biden too old?

My 9/11 memorial