The mile and me
When I ran track for Oak Ridge High School in the spring of 1973., my best mile time was 4:54. The following summer, I was living on frat row and taking summer classes at UT-Knoxpatch. By the end of that summer, I got my time down to 4:28.
My daughter can testify that when she was in high school, I beat her in a mile run. Soon after, I abandoned running for biking. I’m certain I couldn’t run a mile at any speed now.
The record time for the mile was broken last weekend:
“If you represent your school, or your club in athletics, then perhaps you could be following in Josh Kerr's very speedy footsteps one day.
“The Scottish athlete broke a 27-year-old world record at a Diamond League event at the London Stadium on Saturday.
“He ran one mile (1.6 kilometres) in a lightning-quick three minutes 42.66 seconds, breaking the previous record by half a second.”
Ah, to be young again!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/newsround/articles/clyvg2q1np6o
Comments
Post a Comment