A Bible, not "The" Bible

In order to get married in the Roman Catholic Church, Linda and I went through "pre-Caana conferences" under the direction of Fr. Hofstedder, who was the parish priest at St. Mary Catholic Church in 1977. He gave us a copy of the RCC-approved "Holy Bible." I got a copy of "The New Testament" for my First Communion, and I have a copy of the Old Testament that was owned by my dad and that I picked up somewhere along the way.

Back when I was in 1st grade, the teacher had each student bring in a bible reading. It was around then that I first realized that the Douay version of The Bible that was approved by the RCC was not the same Bible that my Protestant classmates used.
Flash forward to the present. Now I understand that God was created in man's image, and that there are several bibles among which we can choose (and many others that have been suppressed). And of course, there are plenty of folks who only read the parts of their bible that suit them and ignore the rest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two sides

Is Joe Biden too old?

My 9/11 memorial