Is the fall of the Roman republic a portent for 21st century America?
I’ve long felt that the Soviet Union was good for America. Sputnik provoked innovation in American schools. Shaming by the USSR on the world stage helped accelerate civil rights in the US. Fear of the USSR enforced a sort of patriotic unity of purpose in our politics. Yes, it had unhealthy effects like the Vietnam war and the support of Central and South American dictatorships, but the perceived threat and rivalry seemed to place limits on what was acceptable in domestic politics.
I’m reading Thomas Madden’s “The Fall of Republics.” My interest in history has always been moored in the conviction that it can help me better understand the world I live in and where it may be headed. Today, I came across this passage:
“It is an irony that the affluence and power that so enriched the Roman people also doomed their republic. Unlike previous mixed governments, the Roman Republic was never conquered by enemies. It succumbed instead to the spoils of its success, the blessings and curses of peace and prosperity.”
It is alarming to contemplate that our history and the present politics of grievance and retribution has parallels with the violent replacement of the Roman republic with the emperors of the Roman empire. With the collapse of the Soviet Union, America found itself in a unipolar world, the sole military superpower with the largest economy and the world’s reserve currency, enjoying the spoils of success and the blessings and curses of peace and prosperity. Sadly, in the last decade, we’re well on the way to throwing that all away to the muffled cheers of our rivals and dismay of our former allies. History doesn’t repeat itself, but it rhymes.
I tremble for our country.
Comments
Post a Comment