On the taxonomy of evangelical Christianity

 

I was raised Roman Catholic, but I'm not a practicing Christian. That said, I'm not blind to the marketing of Christianity, especially evangelical Christianity, in the service of right-wing politics. 

 

To the best of my knowledge, there is no place in the Gospels where Jesus stated an opinion on abortion, homosexuality or gay marriage. Happy to be educated here, but if Christians are followers of Christ's example and Jesus was silent, so should faithful Christians be silent (or at least not claim the mantle of Christianity on those topics). In re: immigrants, Jesus was not silent, however. "I was a stranger and you welcomed me" and "Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me". So xenophobia is obviously not Christian.

 

Jesus did say that he who is without sin should cast the first stone, and judge not, lest you be judged. So I won't judge those who claim to be evangelicals but ignore the Bible. I'll just say "repent and sin no more."

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/cafe/5-kinds-of-american-evangelicals-and-their-voting-patterns?fbclid=IwY2xjawF6H8NleHRuA2FlbQIxMQABHVWk_ZmMjN2OgfeNwtmJZEoFQ88tsItCgIBAjJcGp4vXYJA_dDC3ig24Xw_aem_jFMavb3X9i4yF6d5JGPm9Q

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two sides

Who chooses?

Black Earth