RIP Jimmy Buffett

Between high school and college, I worked at the Pizza Inn in Oak Ridge as a cook. There was a Jimmy Buffett 45 on the juke box. I can't recall what was on the A side, but the B side was "Why don't we get drunk and screw." That's the side that got played, sometimes several times in a row.

Jimmy played for 50 cents at "The Good Woman" pub at Vanderbilt when I was a freshman there. By the time I finished college, I could play and sing a handful of his songs. I can still play and sing a couple of them now.

Our last year in Chapel Hill, we went to see an outdoor performance of Othello. Jimmy Buffett was performing at the football stadium nearby. During a quiet moment in the play, we heard "Margaritaville" drifting over the air.

I have one of Buffett's greatest hits CDs. I'll get that out and play it in his memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ot3JJ0wv2G0

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two sides

Is Joe Biden too old?

My 9/11 memorial