The Covenant of Water

The first book by Abraham Verghese that I read was “My Own Country,” an autobiographical story of a foreign-trained physician who ends up practicing infectious disease medicine in East Tennessee right at the beginning of the AIDS epidemic. I found the writing thoroughly engrossing, less because of the science and medicine than because of the finely drawn sketches of the area and culture near where I grew up and Verghese’s adjustment to that culture.

On the strength of that, I read his novel “Cutting for Stone,” which, while not autobiographical, features a protagonist who is a foreign-trained physician from India. Well, write what you know, they say. I’m not a big consumer of novels, but I found this one quite readable.
Recently, I came across a short review of Verghese’s new novel “The Covenant of Water.” I don’t normally keep reading the same author, but something about the review drew me in. Compared to the earlier books I read, Covenant is epic in scope, spanning nearly a century. There are two narratives, one starting in the UK and the other in India. From the lavish description and detailed character development, you can guess that eventually these narratives will connect. The “water” in the title refers to a macabre bond that links many of the Indian characters. There are many plot twists, many of them violent. Still, there is much beauty, hope, compassion and love that relieves the sadness.
Verghese is a physician, and he doesn't let you forget that. The minute treatment of disease, disability and treatments are lavish, sometimes to the point of seeming contrived to show off the author’s detailed understanding of the topic. That said, there is a cinematic quality to the depiction of the various settings in which the stories take place that call to mind the writing of Michael Ondaatje.
One small beef I have about the writing is the tendency of Verghese to tell, rather than show. In particular, towards the end where the various threads come together, Verghese can’t resist spelling out exactly what happened rather that trusting the reader. That said, I found this book moving and in some sections spellbinding. I certainly recommend it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two sides

Is Joe Biden too old?

My 9/11 memorial