Ukraine and NATO

 In early 1973, my mom drove me to Clinton TN to register for the draft. I still have that draft card somewhere. The following year, my draft number was picked. In the event, the draft ended shortly after and so my draft number wasn't relevant.

This experience permanently colored my thinking about when and where I'd place my life on the line. 50 years later, my belief is the same: the US shouldn't send troops to fight and die unless there's an existential threat.

Today, the debate is over Ukraine membership in NATO. That membership binds all members to defend each member militarily as though it is a threat to their own homeland.

Look, I believe Russia is wrong to prosecute a war against Ukraine. I'm glad to see the US and NATO allies sending weapons to aid Ukraine. But if Ukraine were to be a NATO member, that would be a commitment of US lives and treasure to defend a country halfway around the globe. Would I volunteer? No. Would I volunteer your kids or grandkids? No.

Nobody here has anything to teach me about the tortured history of Ukraine or the current Putin dictatorship. But if I'm unwilling to fight and die in Ukraine (where my grandfather and great-grandfather emigrated from), why should I send others to do what I won't?

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/ukraine-entering-nato-now-is-a-bad-idea

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two sides

Is Joe Biden too old?

My 9/11 memorial