Semaglutide

There's an old saying that you can never be too rich or too thin. I don't endorse that personally. I don't know how many folks are taking semaglutide (Wegovy, Ozempic) to get thin, but there are certainly reasons not to be obese besides aesthetics. Obesity increases the risk of heart disease, diabetes, cancer and joint problems. The epidemiological evidence is incontestable.
What's also incontestable is that overweight and obesity isn't necessarily a moral failing. All thinking people should welcome the development of drugs to prevent obesity. Even if these drugs have side effects (and all drugs have side effects), obesity has side effects, too, and the obesity epidemic imposes a societal burden just as surely as COVID.

I don't believe most people on semagutides are doing it for body sculpting. And like many or most drugs, the costs of such drugs are still outweighed by the alternatives. Like statins and antihypertensives, I welcome semaglutides and their derivatives, even if I never personally use any of them. Better living through pharmacology, peeps.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two sides

Is Joe Biden too old?

My 9/11 memorial