schizophrenia cured?

 Years ago, we had a PhD student who was schizophrenic. He could be lucid, but during committee meetings, he'd sometimes veer off into his visions. He self-published a book based on his visions of battles between celestial powers. He was under psychiatric care, but he was eventually dismissed for lack of progress. My chairman feared he might one day show up armed, too.

I've been aware of schizophrenia from the days when my mom took courses in abnormal psychology and I'd read some of her books. These people seemed tragically beyond help.

Turn out that some of them can be cured. Not clear how many cases can be traced to autoimmunity, but it's long been believed that brain inflammation is part of the etiology.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wellness/2023/06/01/schizophrenia-autoimmune-lupus-psychiatry/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two sides

Is Joe Biden too old?

My 9/11 memorial