Manual transmission

I grew up with stick shift cars. That's all my parents had. Yeah, drivers ed was automatic, but I had to learn to use a clutch at home. I didn't get my first car until I was 26, and that and all the cars we've owned have been stick shifts. Rebecca learned on stick shifts, of course, and her Honda is a stick.

Turns out, there's enough of us out there that Toyota wants to market their EVs to us:
"Toyota’s latest engineering feat is an electric vehicle that behaves as if it has a stick shift, complete with revving sounds and faux gear shifts.
"Engineers who worked on the vehicle system said they wanted to preserve a driving experience that is appreciated by some car enthusiasts and older drivers—and might otherwise die out in the shift to EVs."
As Kevin Drum notes, ". . . if Toyota's EV accelerates from 0-60 in 4 seconds, like a lot of EVs, even experienced stick shift drivers will have to be pretty fast on the clutch." https://www.wsj.com/articles/toyota-ev-mimics-manual-transmission-with-faux-gear-shifts-and-roaring-engine-3afc760f?st=7iomk5zdrdop6ok&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink&fbclid=IwAR3q6TCCGuSC0DCThxh2NSr9pXsEryC-8rdabN9nYwqzKmL3c84EEXRKbRI

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two sides

Is Joe Biden too old?

My 9/11 memorial