Are the sinking ships finally abandoning the rat?

"It was all a bridge too far for some of his sometimes-serious allies in the Senate. Sens. Lindsey Graham (R-SC), John Cornyn (R-TX) and Mike Rounds (R-SD) all made a point of speaking out against the move this week.

"• “I think the best thing for President Trump to do is to focus on the problems people are facing today. There is no way you’re going to convince the American people that Jan. 6 was anything less than a horrible day,” Graham told HuffPost, arguing that Trump’s suggestion that the attack was “a walk through the park is offensive to me. It’s not reality. It was one of the worst days in American history, and it needs to be viewed that way.”

"• “I never have seen somebody successfully get elected to office running on something that happened in the past…. I think people want a positive vision for the future,” Cornyn told HuffPost. He made similar remarks to NBC News: “I just frankly don’t understand this, you know, retrospective look,” he said. “When it comes to running for president or any other office, people don’t want you to relitigate all your grievances in the past. They want to know what your vision for the future is. And so I don’t think it’s a formula for success.”

"• “I was disappointed to see the way that he utilized clips of that day. That was a bad day for this country,” Rounds told HuffPost. “What happened on that day was as close to an attempted insurrection as we’ve seen in a very long time, and I don’t think any of us should be proud of that day.”"

Trump lost the popular vote in 2016 by nearly 3 million votes. He lost the popular vote by over 7 million. If two points are sufficient to describe a line, then simple plane geometry predicts that Trump will lose by over 10 million in 2024 if he is the GOP nominee. My guess is that as we get closer to primary season, GOP politicians and donors will accept the math. I'm not saying that Trump's replacement will be any better.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/morning-memo/now-the-grievance-reel-is-offensive

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two sides

Is Joe Biden too old?

My 9/11 memorial