Kahlil Gibran



Juan Cole is Richard P. Mitchell Collegiate Professor of History at the University of Michigan. He's been blogging at "Informed Comment" since 2002. I donated to his recent fund drive, and recently received as a gift an autographed copy of his translation of Kahlil Gibran's "Spirit Brides."

Gibran's "The Prophet" was popular when I was in high school and college. I think I read a few pages before I put it down. Recently, I read a reviewer who found the early part boring but was glad he finished.

Since I had a copy of "Spirit Brides" in hand, and since it's only 70 pages, I figured I'd read it. There are three stories, told in the style of allegories. I read it more slowly than I usually do, to savor the words, since Cole put a lot of effort into the translation. The writing is almost poetical in imagery, but the writing is evocative without calling unnecessary attention to itself. I found myself unexpectedly moved emotionally by the characters and events, and had to put the book down several times to reflect on what I was reading.

I should probably read it again sometime, since I think there are things I may have missed. It was an unexpected pleasure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tesla robotaxis aren’t coming any time soon

Yes, the CDC can change its mind

About that Trump lawsuit