Self-driving cars



Look, I'd prefer an America with reliable, efficient public transportation. Like in Manhattan. Or the DC Metro. But that isn't going to happen in my lifetime.

If I live long enough, someone is going to extend their hand and ask for my car keys, because I will no longer be safe behind the wheel. Being able to summon a self-driving car for a trip to the grocery store, the dentist or a restaurant would certainly be handy.

There's a lot of chatter from Elon Musk (IKR?) about self-driving cars in the next year or two, but with cars, the safety bar for passengers and others sharing the roadway is very high. Maybe the manufacturers can get the same exemption that firearms manufacturers get.

Until then, here's a useful heuristic: when AI gets to the point where you'll let your youngest child (or grandchild) cross streets of mostly self-driving cars.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two sides

Is Joe Biden too old?

My 9/11 memorial