Pancreatic cancer, BRCA and genetic testing

 Several years ago, I got my genome sequenced at 30-50x coverage. The proximate incentive was that Veritas offered this service for $200, and for an additional $100, I got my variant call file, so I now know the variants for each of my genes, relative to the reference genome.


Ultimately, I was motivated by my dad's diagnosis of Frontotemporal Dementia, and wanted to know whether I have any of the known risk variants for that condition (I don't). I've also checked my status for risk variants for hypercholesterolemia, hypertension, and various cancers.

Some folks don't want their genome sequenced because they believe there's nothing they can do about their genome. My feelings are mirrored in this quote:

"As strange as this sounds, knowing I have a BRCA mutation actually makes me feel empowered and I am grateful. With my strong family history of cancer, I always assumed I would get cancer too. Now, I'm not just waiting for bad news: I know my risk and can decide what I want to do with this information, rather than just hoping to be lucky."

Knowledge is power.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/opinion/second-opinions/101475?xid=nl_mpt_Genetics_update_2022-11-03&eun=g1700464d0r&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Automated%20Specialty%20Update%20Genetics%202022-11-03&utm_term=NL_Gen_Int_SurveySlideshows_Genetics

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two sides

Is Joe Biden too old?

My 9/11 memorial