Graduate school



After spending four years in college, I went directly to a PhD program in genetics. Throughout that time, I was often asked how long it would take to get my PhD. Eventually, I came up with the formula that I’d be surprised if I finished in less than four years and I’d be disappointed if it took longer than six years. In the event, it took exactly five years from the day I arrived in Chapel Hill until the day I left for a postdoc position in St. Louis.

A few years later, I found a table in the Chronicle of Higher Education showing that the median time in a PhD program in Life Sciences was seven years. The median time from bachelors to PhD was nine years, since many people work for a couple of years before starting a PhD program. In retrospect, five years was pretty good, but when you’re in your 20s, it seems like a long time. And most of the work in my dissertation was done in my final year.

Pro tip: If you know someone in a PhD program, ask them about their project, not how long it will take for them to graduate. It's not like professional school, with a defined curriculum. Research outcomes are hard to predict in advance.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tesla robotaxis aren’t coming any time soon

Yes, the CDC can change its mind

About that Trump lawsuit