History and folk music


There's a long tradition of telling history through folk music. I was first awakened to this tradition as a kid in the 1960s by recordings of the singer/songwriter Jimmy Driftwood. I still have a Driftwood LP.
Last night, I was playing the "Most Perfect Harmony" CD by The Discovery String Band. It is a compilation of traditional and original tunes and songs honoring the Lewis and Clark expedition. There's a song on the CD, "Through the Garden," written and performed by Missouri's own Bob Dyer. Dyer first came to my attention from an LP by Kathy Barton and Dave Para, and in particular, his song "Ballad of Boonslick." Becka Eissenova and I used to sing the chorus together when she was a child. Here's Bob's recording of his song. I like the Barton/Para version better, but I can't find a Youtube of that version. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwhJrfwbAqU

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two sides

Is Joe Biden too old?

My 9/11 memorial