Alzheimer's risk


I got my genome sequenced because my dad died with dementia (FTD and/or Alzheimers) and I wanted to know what my risk is. Based on current evidence, I don't have any of the high risk variants, although there are certainly more risk alleles yet to be discovered.
While these dementias are not currently treatable, there are also environmental risk factors. From the link:
"As reported by BBC News, and as presented at the Alzheimer’s Association International Conference in London this week, these nine factors all contribute to the onset of dementia. Ranked in order of highest to lowest risk, they are:
• Mid-life hearing loss (9 percent of the risk)
• Not completing secondary-level/high school education (8 percent)
• Smoking (5 percent)
• Not seeking treatment for depression in youth (4 percent)
• Physical inactivity (3 percent)
• Social isolation (2 percent)
• High blood pressure (2 percent)
• Obesity (1 percent)
• Type 2 diabetes – the more common variant linked to obesity (1 percent)"
My dad did suffer considerable hearing loss in his last 10-15 years, although I would call that late-life, not mid-life. And he didn't exercise regularly for most of his life.
Anyway, there are some things all of us can do to mitigate our risk, regardless of our genotype. Not smoking, controlling hypertension, healthy weight and exercise are all unalloyed goods, independent of dementia risk. https://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/these-nine-risk-factors-dramatically-increase-your-dementia-risk/?fbclid=IwAR0mafSvHTVHTvsadSX9VCol1TOtDHZRxR95SpLUyooTmbA7iIrBhMaaGzM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two sides

Is Joe Biden too old?

My 9/11 memorial