From here to eternity


Here's a fun graphic depicting the conditions that are most likely to kill you at different points in your life. If you're reading this, you can disregard the stuff before your present age.
I tell people that I didn't get my genome sequenced to find out if I have a genetic disease, since most single gene disorders are evident by the fifth decade (your 40s). I was interested in alleles that increase risk for, e.g., heart disease, stroke, hypertension, cancer and dementia. As you can see, these are the big killers in my demographic. In a sense, this could be considered "congenital," although I don't think that's how this graph thinks about it. Of course, gene-environment (diet, weight, exercise, sun exposure, carcinogen exposure) interactions are important.
I wonder how these data will be affected when COVID-19 is included.

https://flowingdata.com/2016/01/05/causes-of-death/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two sides

Is Joe Biden too old?

My 9/11 memorial