Novelty seeking


"A handful of studies have noted how humans tend to be less open to experience as they age. One such study found that openness to experience tends to ramp up during our teenage years and then eventually decrease after our early twenties.
"Open to experience" is one of the Big Five Personality Traits. It denotes our sense of curiosity, our preference for variety, our appreciation of aesthetics, and our desire to experience unknown things."
I've always embraced novelty. Not for its own sake--not obviously bad novelty--but having my values, ideas and tastes challenged by novelty has always held an allure. There are very few songs, especially the ones popular in my teens and 20's, that I care to hear again. I've rarely read a book twice. I seldom watch a film again, no matter how much I liked it. I love reading about new discoveries and assumptions that have been overturned by new discovery. I'm an avid listener to KDHX, where as one DJ puts it, they play "none of the hits, all of the time."

Life is short. Don't get in a rut! 

https://www.iflscience.com/brain/we-stop-discovering-new-music-at-a-certain-age-heres-why/?fbclid=IwAR1tqQ_qcimmOXGaNRug4XfIKqMzmDuxewJDEKXMJUCGua_wv1ipIfS2w6c

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two sides

Is Joe Biden too old?

My 9/11 memorial