Military service


I was never in the military. Both my dad and father-in-law served in the US Navy. I've known plenty of people who served in the military and I've read over 100 histories and biographies that were focused on military history.
I get where people who were in the military have a special loyalty to military service. Indeed, military training is specifically designed to inculcate that loyalty, just like private colleges and universities cultivate their alumni and sports teams cultivate their fans.
I grew up during the Vietnam War and still have my draft card (1H) from 1973. I know enough about the military and I know enough about myself to know that I would not be a good fit for the level of conformity and external control that is military culture. That's not a critique of the military or of service people or veterans. Not everyone is a good fit to be a medical school professor either.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tesla robotaxis aren’t coming any time soon

Yes, the CDC can change its mind

On the meanings of the word "Christian"