Military service


I was never in the military. Both my dad and father-in-law served in the US Navy. I've known plenty of people who served in the military and I've read over 100 histories and biographies that were focused on military history.
I get where people who were in the military have a special loyalty to military service. Indeed, military training is specifically designed to inculcate that loyalty, just like private colleges and universities cultivate their alumni and sports teams cultivate their fans.
I grew up during the Vietnam War and still have my draft card (1H) from 1973. I know enough about the military and I know enough about myself to know that I would not be a good fit for the level of conformity and external control that is military culture. That's not a critique of the military or of service people or veterans. Not everyone is a good fit to be a medical school professor either.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two sides

Is Joe Biden too old?

My 9/11 memorial