Rosalind Franklin and DNA

 I read Jim Watson's book The Double Helix when I was an undergrad, and Anne Sayre's book Rosalind Franklin and DNA when I was in grad school. There's no doubt that Franklin's X-shaped X-ray diffraction image was key to the success of the UK group in solving the structure of DNA. Over the years, I've read several pieces discussing whether Franklin's data was "stolen" or otherwise expropriated. In the end, she couldn't share the Nobel prize because the prize cannot be awarded posthumously.

Just ran across this nuanced discussion. It synthesizes the historical record and, while acknowledging the personal shortcomings of several of the major actors, falls a bit short of the "stolen" data legend. https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/rosalind-franklin-and-dna-how-wronged-was-she/?fbclid=IwAR31mVf18DjwPz2DavU9MwFzrwFohiuR2HN4vfs8OfDiNMIxL48F6BElWlo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two sides

Is Joe Biden too old?

My 9/11 memorial