Henrietta Lacks

 I first learned about HeLa cells when I was an undergrad majoring in microbiology. Back then, we were told that they were derived from a cervical cancer in a patient named Helen Lane. The cancer was correct but the name was wrong. I don't know if that was deliberate misdirection to preserve the privacy of the long-dead patient or just miscommunication. Years later, I learned that the letters were for Henrietta Lacks.

It is impossible to overstate the role these cells have played in biomedical research. They are cancer cells, so chromosomally very abnormal, but they grow readily in culture.
I see where Henrietta's relatives are now suing for compensation. Back then, there was no requirement to consent a cancer patient before using their tumor tissue for research. Of course, most cells don't make so much money, and money is what this is about. Mostly money for attorneys. [link may be behind a paywall] https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/10/05/business/lawyers-henrietta-lacks-estate-say-thermo-fisher-scientific-is-just-first-firm-be-sued-over-her-cells/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two sides

Is Joe Biden too old?

My 9/11 memorial