Zoom

 One of the good things that emerged from the pandemic is zoom. I hate phone calls and love email, but talking is easier and faster than typing. Yes, at an in-person meeting, you can easily interrupt and be recognized by holding up your hand, but you can’t easily slip away to the bathroom unnoticed. It saves time not having to schlep to and from another building or even another campus. It’s easier and cheaper to host seminar speakers and faculty candidates by zoom instead of flying them in, putting them in a hotel and entertaining them at restaurants. Many are probably happier to sleep in their own beds.

I arranged a teaching gig with the Albany College of Pharmacy without having to leave the comfort of my own attic—my lecture content is all recorded on zoom. I’ve even canceled a zoom meeting, when I didn’t feel like there was a meaningful agenda.
So this link below is funny, but his beefs with zoom don’t resonate with me. Of course, even at peak travel, I didn’t have nearly the intense travel schedule as he did, but I’ve always been a nervous traveler. I suspect this article isn’t actually about zoom, anyway, but about promoting his book.

https://www.medpagetoday.com/opinion/vinay-prasad/93656?xid=nl_mpt_DHE_2021-07-21&eun=g1700464d0r&utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Daily%20Headlines%20Top%20Cat%20HeC%20%202021-07-21&utm_term=NL_Daily_DHE_dual-gmail-definition&fbclid=IwAR3WOmqlgbNCG-URt_OR8joOgCv6h3qFyLmvUBjl2oz5f2C8VVX-xZWeB9A

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two sides

Is Joe Biden too old?

My 9/11 memorial