Genomics for everyone?

 I got my genome sequenced at 30-50x coverage a couple years ago for $199. For another $100, I purchased my variant call file, so I can check about any new variants of interest.

Of course, if you get your genome sequenced when you're in your '60s, you already know you don't have most inherited single-gene diseases. These typically manifest between birth and the third decade of life. But there are known risk factors that could be uncovered. A friend of mine (who annotated my variant call file for me) has the ApoE4 allele, which gives a greatly increased risk of hypercholesterolemia and Alzheimers. With this knowledge, he's on a statin and abstains from alcohol.
But sequencing newborns offers much more opportunity to detect inherited diseases before they manifest and/or before waiting for the onset of pathology. As a public health measure, I think universal genome sequencing is a good idea. Of course, I think mitigating global warming through carbon capture and/or geoengineering will have more impact. Can we have both?

https://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/uk-public-supports-genome-sequencing-of-every-newborn-claims-genome-sequencing-company/?fbclid=IwAR0LsAgXxDl9MOwR4Xc8cuye9oEWgg4RA9gQiRZz-R14TBvakOdNaMAEsoM

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two sides

Is Joe Biden too old?

My 9/11 memorial