Fighting sarcopenia and strengthening immunity

 I joined our university rec center a couple years ago and paid for six sessions with a personal trainer to learn how to use the equipment properly so as not to injure myself. When the rec center closed last spring, I was able to recapitulate most of the exercises at home with hand weights and bands.

The reason to do resistance training at my age isn't to pick up women, it's to slow the inevitable muscle wasting--age-dependent sarcopenia--that accompanies not dying. When I'm on a regular schedule, I sleep better and enjoy my waking hours more, with more energy, alertness and engagement.
Turns out there's another benefit. Another concomitant of aging is immune system dysfunction: immunosenescence and inflammageing. The former is caused by immune cell exhaustion and the latter by disregulation of immune responses. According to this article, another benefit of exercise is improved immune function. You don't have to be a body builder to benefit.

https://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/having-more-muscle-may-strengthen-immune-system-according-new-study/?fbclid=IwAR2YdRdhQxhtuagf2vzXr2Wqfe1Kk8Z8zPz5He8TJxBTKEwGBv8yszcSCM4

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two sides

Is Joe Biden too old?

My 9/11 memorial