Whatever.

“Whatever” is the bleat of the adolescent. It is meant to convey disdain while acknowledging the antecedent comment.

When Rebecca was approaching her teenage years, I realized that this would be a trigger word for me, so I decided to drain it of all meaning by using it myself at any opportunity.

Of course, raising a child is an experiment without a control, so I’ll never know whether my plan actually worked. Maybe she didn’t use “whatever” because it was “dad’s word” or maybe I became so inured to it that I didn’t notice when she did use it.

Now I mostly notice when adults use it. I don’t know whether they realize what they sound like or even if they care. But like artificial hair coloring on a 60-year-old head, I don’t find it so much irritating as anachronistic and sad.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Tesla robotaxis aren’t coming any time soon

Yes, the CDC can change its mind

About that Trump lawsuit